CHASA Family Retreat 2016 Registration closed on April 6, 2016. Watch the website and join us at future retreats!
Are You Ready to Party?
Join over 400 kids, teens, and adults who have hemiplegia and their families for 4+ days of fun and relaxation. The Children’s Hemiplegia and Stroke Association (CHASA) hosts a family retreat where families who “get it” can socialize, share ideas, and have FUN!
Research shows that knowing peers who are like you is very important for the social development of children, especially for children with disabilities and their siblings. The 2016 retreat will be our 13th retreat, so we know what we’re doing! Warning – once you attend one retreat, you’ll keep coming back!
Join Our CHASA Retreat Interest Facebook Group to Learn More
- Please read this entire page before joining the Facebook group.
- After reading this page, if you’d like to attend the retreat, then fill out our CHASA Family Retreat Interest Form. The link is at the bottom of this page.
Who Can Attend the Retreat?
- The retreat is open to the families CHASA serves.
- We almost always have an equal number of kids in all age groups – from about 1 year old up to adults who are in their 30s. You can be assured that everyone in your family will find friends unless you hide in your room.
- If you’re an adult with hemiplegia, you’ll enjoy getting to know others who may have shared similar experiences.
- Sometimes a parent attends without their child if the child is very young or is an adult who is not interested in attending. Parents may attend without children.
- If you need help with childcare, you are welcome to bring an adult with you; grandparents or an aunt will often attend. The additional adults will need to register, pay the registration fee and sign the waiver. Please register them with your family.
- Please do not bring children or teens who are outside your immediate family. There are several reasons behind this guideline and we’re happy to discuss with you if you have questions.
- Service and therapy animals are welcome.
When Is the CHASA Family Retreat?
- Sunday, July 24, 2016 at 2:30 pm to Wednesday, July 27, 2016 at noon
- Some families arrive a day or two early
Where Is the CHASA Family Retreat?
- In Lexington, Kentucky. Group rate: $139 per night plus taxes.
- Please do not call the hotel to book reservations. The group rate is not set up for us at this time. We will notify you in the facebook group as to how to make reservations.
- The group reservation code can be found in the 2016 CHASA in the Family Retreat Interest Group on Facebook. There are a limited number of hotel rooms available at this rate so you’ll need to book as early as possible.Additional hotel nights, based on availability, may be available at the group rate for Friday, Saturday prior to the retreat and for Wednesday and Thursday following the retreat.We have negotiated free internet access for your room.
- We realize that some of you may wish to reserve two rooms for your family. You will be allowed to reserve one room at the group rate. You’ll need to reserve your second room at the standard rate. After all families have registered for the retreat, if additional group rate rooms are available, we will assist you in switching your second room to the group rate. This plan allows us to offer, based on availability, at least one group rate room to as many families as possible. There is a space on our registration form where you can request the group rate for a second room.
Do I have to stay at the retreat hotel?
- Yes, you must stay at the retreat hotel.
- CHASA has a financial commitment to the hotel.
- Our hotel contract for the event states, “Attendees must stay at the hotel and book a minimum of 3 nights under the CHASA group.” (7/24, 7/25, 7/26, and checkout on 7/27, 2016). The exception to this is if we sell out of group rate rooms, local Lexington families will not be required to book a hotel room. If we do not sell out of our group rate rooms, everyone will need to stay at the hotel.
- Staying at the hotel is a big part of the retreat experience. Kids and parents are hanging out together to swim, play games, do crafts, and plan free time. Many connections take place outside our planned activities. If you’re commuting back and forth, you will definitely miss out on the heart of the retreat.
How Much Is the Registration Fee?
- Registration and Payment Deadline: April 6, 2016
Ages 16 and up: $125 per person
Ages 10-15: $100 per person
Ages 4-9: $85 per person
Ages 3 and under: $25 per person
- We have worked hard to keep the fees the same as our 2014 retreat.
- Fees include at least three group meals at the hotel with the possibility for a fourth meal or snacks (depending on final attendance numbers). The final agenda will provide meal information.
- A limited number of scholarships are available – see below.
Sample Agenda (This will change)
- Sunday – Registration, Meet and Greet, Group Photo, Dinner with group at hotel (included in your registration fee), Group Activity.
- Monday – Meet Others, Age Group Discussions and Play Groups, Family Activities, Teen/Young Adult Room, Lunch and Topic Discussions with group at hotel (included in your registration fee), Off-site Bowling or other activity, Free Time, and Ice Cream Social
- Tuesday -Teen/Young Adult Panel and Demonstrations, Lunch and Attendee Parade at hotel (included in your registration fee), Afternoon Free Time, and Evening Party/Dance
- Wednesday – Topic Discussion Groups, Hotel Check Out at noon, some families extend their trip and stay additional nights
Is Childcare Available?
- Childcare is not available at the retreat.
- This is a family event and all activities will include parents and children.
- If childcare is needed, families are encouraged to bring another adult to the retreat to help with their childcare if needed.
- Please do not ask teens and young adults who are attending the retreat and not traveling with your family to babysit. They will hate to say no and they’ll miss out on activities for their age group.
Are Retreat Scholarships Available?
- A limited number of scholarships will be available for families in need. In 2014, CHASA provided scholarships to 21 families. Please help us raise funds to reach even more families in 2016.
- Scholarships are not available for travel expenses.
- Scholarship applications are available in the 2016 CHASA Family Retreat Facebook Interest Group (see info at bottom of page).
- February 10, 2016: CHASA Retreat Scholarship Application Deadline – fill out CHASA Retreat Scholarship Form by February 10, 2016.
- February 23, 2016: CHASA will notify Retreat Scholarship recipients by email. If you are not receiving a scholarship, you will also be notified.
- February 27, 2016 : Scholarship Recipients – You must notify us by email as to whether or not you will accept the scholarship. If we do not receive a response to our scholarship offer by 2/27/2016, we will assume you are not accepting the scholarship and will offer it to another family. Please watch your spam/junk mail box for Scholarship information. Email will be delivered from chasa.org address.
- Scholarship recipients are required to pay registration fees by the April 16, 2016 deadline. Please do not register until you are ready to pay. Registration fees are not refundable if you do not attend the retreat. We suggest you wait to register until you’ve received notification as to whether you will or will not receive a scholarship. Scholarship checks will be distributed at the registration desk on the first day of the retreat.
What are my responsibilities at the CHASA Family Retreat?
- Show up and have fun!
- Check the CHASA Family Retreat Interest Facebook Group frequently for updates.
- CHASA has a staff of ONE, so we ask that at least one member of each family volunteer either before or during the retreat. More information on volunteer positions will be available after you register.
- Please care for your children while at the hotel. Don’t allow them to wander the property alone unless they’re old enough to safely do so.
- Please, please, please pay attention to the deadlines – scholarship, scholarship response, hotel reservations, registration, and waivers.
- Realize that CHASA has financial commitments with the hotel. Registration fees are not refundable.
Want more information? Fill out the 2016 CHASA Family Retreat Interest Form
- Fill out the 2016 CHASA Family Retreat Interest Form
- After you submit the form, you’ll be asked to join the 2016 CHASA Family Retreat Interest Facebook Group.
- You must be a friend of Chasa HemiKids so we can add you to the group.
- In the group you’ll learn more about registration, how to pay, scholarship applications, and the hotel group rate reservation code.
- Check back frequently and read the “pinned post” at the top of the group’s timeline.
- You must visit the Facebook group on a regular basis to receive all information. Facebook does not automatically send all group information to you.
- On the group page, go to “Notifications” and select “All Posts.”
Most activities are held at the hotel. We may go off property for the ice cream social and you will need transportation. In our facebook group, you can discuss sharing rides with other families.
The retreat coordinator will reply to your questions within 48 hours. If you do not receive a reply, please check your spam or junk mail box. Please do not tag us with questions in the Facebook group – we may not see those.